All you need to know about Total Knee Replacement Surgery
The Knee Replacement Surgery is also known as arthroplasty. It is a surgical procedure of resurfacing a knee which is damaged due to arthritis. The metals and plastic parts do come in use to cap the ends of the bones that is responsive to the formation of the knee joint. This knee replacement surgery is considered for someone with a severe knee injury or severe arthritis.The main motive of the knee replacement surgery is to relieve pain and increase the knee functions. The surgeon is supposed to remove the portions of bone that are damaged and replace them with artificial components. Some surgeries also include the resurfacing of the kneecap.
Anatomy of the knee
1. Cartilage- The type of tissue that acts as a covering of a bone present at the joint. It helps in reducing the friction of movement inside a joint.
2. Tibia- This is the largest bone in the lower leg.
3. Tendon- A connecting tissue meant to connect muscles to the bones and helps in controlling the movement of a joint.
4. Synovial membrane- This tissue is meant for the lining of joints and sealing it into a joint capsule. This membrane secretes the sticky fluid which is present around the joint for its lubrication. This fluid is known as Synovial fluid.
5. Patella- This is the kneecap.
6. Meniscus- It is a curved part of the cartilage present in the knees and the other joints meant to increase the contact area, act as a shock absorber, and strengthen the knee joint.
7. Ligament- It is a tough and elastic connective tissue which surrounds the joints in order to give it enough support and for limiting the movement of the joints.
8. Femur- This the bone present in the upper leg.
Total knee replacement surgery
It is one of the common procedures of knee replacement surgery. This involves the replacement of both sides of the knee joint. This surgery usually lasts for 2 or 3 hours. After the surgery, the patient will suffer less pain and better movement, but a scar tissue will be formed that will make it difficult to bend the knees.
Who needs the knee replacement surgery?
The knee replacement surgery is meant for the people who have: -
• Knee deformity
• Severe pain in the knee that makes it difficult for them to carry their daily activities
• Continuous pain, even when they are resting or sleeping
• Inflammation and swelling of the knees that don’t improve even after medications
What is Osteoarthritis?
It is one of the most common reasons for the knee replacement surgery and is caused by normal wear-&-tear of the knee joint. It is related to the age and mostly affects the patients who are above 50 years of age. But, younger people may also suffer from it. It is caused because of the breakdown, inflammation and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. As the time passes, the cartilage wears down and the bones start to rub together resulting in severe pain.